Phthalic Anhydride is a colorless to white lustrous solid in the form of needles with a mild distinctive odor. Moderately toxic by inhalation or ingestion and a skin irritant. Melting point 64°F Flash point 305°F. Forms a corrosive solution when mixed with water. Used in the manufacture of materials such as artificial resins. Exposure to phthalic anhydride may occur during its use as a chemical intermediate in the plastics industry. The acute (short-term) effects from exposure to phthalic anhydride in humans consists of irritation to the eyes, respiratory tract, and skin, but no permanent injury is observed. Chronic (long-term) effects observed in workers exposed to phthalic anhydride included conjunctivitis, rhinitis, rhinoconjunctivitis, bronchitis, and irritation of the skin and mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. Animal studies indicate that chronic exposure to phthalic anhydride vapor causes congestion, irritation, and injury to lung cells. No studies are available on the reproductive, developmental, or carcinogenic effects of phthalic anhydride in humans. EPA has not classified phthalic anhydride for carcinogenicity.