Copper sulfate is a sulfate salt of copper. It is a potent emetic and is used as an antidote for poisoning by phosphorus. It also can be used to prevent the growth of algae.
Copper is an essential trace element that is included in some over-the-counter multivitamin and mineral supplements, even though copper deficiency is quite rare and supplementation is rarely needed. The amounts of copper found in typical supplements has not been associated with serum enzyme elevations or with clinically apparent liver injury. However, accidental or intentional copper overdose can cause an acute liver injury and chronic ingestion of excessive amounts of copper can result in chronic liver injury.